Friday, March 19, 2010

A Matter of The Heart

There are times in our spiritual lives where we are called to fast and consecrate ourselves before God. It is during these times the He reveals Himself and the things He wants us to take with us, and build habits upon them from that point on out. Fasting, of course, is not merely a diet, but we're to make efforts to abstain from things that we may overindulge in (dietary things, material things, or even people), or they could simply be things we want to sacrifice to show God that He alone hold the top spot in our lives.

Guilt is something that we have to be wary of, as it can easily permeate your entire existence during the physical and spiritual vulnerability we experience during fasting! Fast peacefully.

In a nut shell, I found myself in the position of feeling terribly guilty because I consumed a food that was on the "foods to avoid" list without knowledge of it (it's a Daniel's Fast by the way). Mind you, I didn't intentionally do it, but I didn't understand it the way others did. Don't worry, there's no current issue or backlash going on, lol. I just prayed and sincerely repented to God for "breaking" the vow I made. While rules, and prohibited foods are there for a reason, but the important thing to remember is to never allow the enemy to put guilt on you for a mistake, because the purpose of fasting lies more in the sincerity of your heart more than it does what you do and don't eat. I just want to encourage any of you who may be fasting (whatever kind of fast it is), or plan to begin one. Remember to keep your mind of Christ and His will, and the promise that He'll draw near to those who draw near to Him.

Don't place the emphasis on the deeds in attempt to gain more love from God. In actuality, there is NOTHING that we can do to obtain grace and mercy, as has already been obtained forever through Jesus Christ's sacrifice. Please be encouraged, we can do it. Let's walk this road together. I love you with the love of Jesus Christ.

"God's demand for perfection need not discourage you in your attempts to be good, or your failures. When you fall He'll pick you up again."- C.S. Lewis.


Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking of starting a fast soon but I'm extremely prone to feeling weary and overwhelmed by guilt so I've been hesitant. This post is extremely encouraging and has motivated me to stop delaying what God has asked of me. Thanks for reminding me not to let the enemy mess up something as substantial and revitalizing as a time of spiritual connection with Christ!!

    Thanks for posting. I hope all is well with the fast and you come out from it a better and stronger person :)

    ReplyDelete